Getting to Ouray by AIR:
- Ouray is located in Southwest Colorado and is a 300 mile journey from Denver and its largest airport, Denver International Airport (DIA). You can rent cars at that airport and drive or you can choose to fly into one of the airports that are located in the western part of the state.
- The closest airport to Ouray is in Montrose Colorado (MTJ) and is a mere 40 miles north (45 minute car ride). Airlines that frequent this airport vary but service through Denver is available 365 days per year via United. In the summertime (June 9, 2011 - September 6, 2011), American Airlines will provide daily service (two direct flights per day from Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)). Of course, Montrose has car rental agencies available at the airport including Hertz, Budget, National, and Avis. Telluride Express and Tellurides provide ground transportation to Ouray but advance reservations are highly recommended.
- Grand Junction's Walker Field (GJT) serves Ouray too. It is 100 miles north of Ouray but only a 2 hour drive. Five airlines provide non-stop service to Grand Junction daily from Denver, Colorado; Salt Lake City Utah; Phoenix, Arizona; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. In May 2011, Continental begins a seasonal service between Grand Junction and Houston. Full car rental services are available.
- Durango Colorado has an airport and it is located about 90 miles (2.5 hours) south of Ouray. Durango-LaPlata County Airport (DRO) has daily service year round on United, Frontier, and US Air. On June 9, daily non-stop flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) begins. You can rent cars from Hertz, Budget, National, and Avis on-site.
- Colorado Springs Airport is a 5 hour drive to Ouray and can make for a great drive across the state past areas like the Royal Gorge and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. They are served by six different airlines with daily nonstop service to 13 cities nationwide.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico's Sunport International Airport (ABQ) is about a six hour drive to Ouray too but makes for a great drive as well. There are currently nine airlines that provide service and Southwest is by far their largest provider. Flying through Albuquerque makes great sense if you also plan to include visits to Mesa Verde National Park and Durango as those areas are "on the way".
Getting to Ouray by Train:Amtrak stops in Grand Junction; you will be on the California Zephyr and you can either take a bus to Ouray or rent a car. There are no rental cars at the train depot but you can take a cab to the airport and rent a vehicle there.
Getting to Ouray by Bus:
The Greyhound Bus service between Durango and Grand Junction passes through Ridgway, via Road Runner Daily Bus Service. Once in Ridgway, you can arrange shuttle service through Western Slope Rides, or, if you are planning to rent a jeep once you get here, Switzerland of America Jeep Rentals will arrange to have your jeep waiting for you with a three day rental.
Getting to Ouray by Shuttle:
There are several shuttle services providing transport from Montrose Airport to Ouray. Western Slope Rides is based out of Ridgway, Colorado, and in addition to airport services, also offer a variety of services in the Ridgway, Ouray area. If you are planning to rent a jeep once in Ouray, Switzerland of America Jeep Rentals will arrange to have your jeep waiting for you at the airport with a five day jeep rental.
Getting Around Once in Ouray:
Ouray is 8 blocks long and 8 blocks wide so once you are in Ouray, you don't really need a car. Most facilities are within walking distance of shops and restaurants. Our facility is a mere five minute walk to the Ouray Ice Park and Box Canyon Falls. In the summertime, jeep rentals are available but advanced reservations are recommended.