A Place for History and Culture: Ouray Colorado
Ouray Colorado: National Historic District Maintains Character in Colorado Mountains
Take a step back in time and experience Ouray's turn-of-the-century heritage through legends, ghost towns, and our distinctive mining town charm. As Fall begins to fade into early winter, a sense of the past in Ouray County seems a bit more profound.
- Saunter through the quiet streets and appreciate the Victorian architechture, restored historic buildings, friendly locals and peaceful atmosphere. Enjoy the walking tour of Ouray, strolling past homes and buildings virtually unchanged since they were built in the late 1800s and early 1900s when the town was first founded.
- Visit with Ouray's numerous artisans and galleries. Explore history through the art and antiques of the area. Local talent is immense, and encompasses every taste.
- Enjoy live music and partake in the area's numerous concerts, festivals, and theater productions. From ballets and plays at the Wright Opera House to rock and roll at one of our local pubs, Ouray is rich with cultural experiences.
- Learn about the area's mining, ranching, and railroad heritage through museums and tours. Once the local hospital, the Ouray museum is itself an historic exhibit. The Ridgway Railroad Museum is dedicated to the preservation of railroad equipment, artifacts, historical data, books and photographs of Ouray County and the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Take a journey back in time and experience the history these museums have to offer!
- Participate in the many visual and cultural art workshops. Photography, painting and wood working classes just to name a few of the opportunities to expand your knowledge and appreciation of the area abound! Weehawkin Creative Arts is one facility offering a range of classes and lectures.
- Take a tranquil hike and self-discover the area's multitude of historic 1800's era cultural sites. Regardless of the time of year, there are always trails to explore in and around Ouray. Each will travel over spectacular terrain in a journey to the past, with nothing but scenery and perhaps an old mine to explore.
- Stroll Main Street and enjoy over 50 shops and restaurants with unique arts, crafts, fashion boutiques and culinary delights.
With the holidays fast approaching, visiting the shops and galleries is ideal to find the perfect gift for that special person.
The brisk weather carries a memory of times gone by, when miners would retreat from the hunt for treasure to warm themselves in town at one of the saloons or in the therapeutic mineral hot springs.